Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week 8, Thing 19 - LibraryThing

This assignment was pretty easy for me. I had already taken a good look at LibraryThing several assignments back and I really liked it. I have mentioned before, that I do not own very many books. I'm my local library's best buddy because I am a constant borrower. Therefore, I really don't have any personal books to catalog, but I have recently purchased some exceptional picture books for our school system's "Reach Out and Read" (ROAR) program, so I cataloged those. My colleague and I choose picture books to be read to our fourth and fifth grade classes by community readers. (The K-3 classes are read to in the fall) This year, we tied into the ALA theme of "Read Around the Circle of Knowledge - so we changed it to "Reach Out and Read Around ..." and we concentrated on circle of life, circle of family and circle of friendship. I was really pleased with what we found especially because not only are they substantive and well-suited for reading aloud, but fit the curriculum (yay!) quite well.

Most of these books are not terribly well known - at least on LibraryThing so there was little in the way of review or discussion, but what was there was very positive about these titles. "Henry's Freedom Box" was the most popular title of my "library" because it was a Caldecott Honor Book - it was included in 114 collections.

No comments: